We’ve been getting a lot of calls lately about routine home winter maintenance. So we though we’d give you our Home Winter Maintenance Tips.
- Tip #1 - If you have a fireplace, make sure you have the chimney checked out by a professional chimney cleaner before starting the first fire. All chimneys should be checked out at least once a year prior to use to look for any damage and to have it cleaned.
- Tip #2 - Check your home around windows and doors for air leaks. An easy way to check for leaks is to move a lighter around the window or door frame and see if the flame moves with a breeze.
- Tip #3 - Make sure you have proper insulation in both your attic and basement. While checking your insulation, if you see any dark, dirty spots, it may indicate you have air leaks coming into your home.
- Tip #4 - Make sure your snow shovels and/or snow blower are in good shape. Check your shovel handle for possible cracks or breaks and replace if needed.
- Tip #5 - If you have a gas powered generator you keep on hand for possible power outages, make sure you have containers of gas for the generator. Keep the gasoline stored in a garage or outside storage unit. Never store gasoline inside your home.
- Tip #6 - No matter how you heat your home during the cold months, you need to have your heating unit checked out to make sure it is working properly.