We get asked all time “How can I save money on my gas bill”. Well believe it or not there are some things you can do.
- 1. Set your thermostat as low as is comfortable in the winter. For each degree you raise your thermostat setting, your fuel bill climbs 3 percent.
- 2. Clean or replace filters on furnaces once a month or as needed. A simple task like this could improve your systems' energy efficiency by 10 percent.
- 3. Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed; make sure they're not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes.
- 4. Bleed trapped air from hot-water radiators once or twice a season; if in doubt about how to perform this task, call a professional.
- 5. Place heat-resistant radiator reflectors between exterior walls and the radiators.
- 6. During the heating season, keep the draperies and shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- 7. Close an unoccupied room that is isolated from the rest of the house, and turn down the thermostat or turn off the heating for that room or zone
These are a few simple steps that anyone can do to help save money on their gas bill.